Here is the baseball coverage in The Journal News today:
The Yankees are headed to China next week.
Old friend Willie Randolph got paid by the Mets for a job well done. I was covering the Mets when Willie got the job. He came in and shut down the Art Howe Country Club.
Meanwhile, a few other interesting notes from around baseball:
* Darin Erstad signs with the White Sox. Bet that works out for them.
* Aaron Sele signs with the Mets. Bet that doesn’t.
* In a tremendous break for the Yankees, J.D. Drew has finalized his deal with the Red Sox.
* I know everybody is entitled to get what they can. But Jeff Weaver was a baseball hobo when the Cardinals took him on and fixed his career. He should stick with them.
* The Mariners may sign Arthur Rhodes, which should assure them two losses against the Yankees. According to the great Baseball Musings Bay-by-Day Database, Rhodes has appeared against the Yankees 49 times in his career and has a 7.22 ERA. He has walked 45 and allowed 15 home runs in 81 innings.