The doc told me to take a nap after the eye surgery, which i did. Now it’s the middle of the night and I’m wide awake and wearing my new cheap Ray Charles sunglasses that apparently are a medical necessity.
But I can see the computer screen clearly without contacts for the first time in many years. So might as well blog …
Mark Newman held a conference call with the writers today that a buddy recorded for me. He had a few interesting tidbits of info:
* Phil Hughes will be held to 175-180 innings this season after throwing 152 last season. The plan is to have him start the season in Class AAA but Newman did not rule out the idea of his making the team out of camp. Don’t bet on that happening, however. The Yankees can hold Hughes to 5-inning starts much easier in the minors than the majors then call him up mid-season.
* Newman seems very high on Humberto Sanchez and Ross Ohlendorf, saying they can help the Yankees this season. He also mentioned that Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain and Dellin Betances are already in Tampa working out. Newman said Betances hit 98 last season and that Chamberlain is a true power arm who fell in the draft because of injury issues.
* Jose Tabata reminds the Yankees of Jeter at the same stage of his career.
* Jesus Montero, the kid catcher from Venezuela, has “light tower” power and will get a chance to start in the Gulf Coast League instead of the Dominican Summer League. Newman said the Yankees have never had a Latin prospect with as much power. He also praised his work ethic and intelligence.
* Former big leaguer Jody Reed will manage the GCL team. Luis Sojo is back with Class A Tampa.
Meanwhile Mike Mussina was in town at a charity dinner. I did not cover but the ever-reliable Brian Heyman was there and we’ll have a story on our site in a few hours.
Thanks to everybody who sent me e-mails regarding the surgery, they were very much appeciated. Dr. Calenda, you the man.
True story: I get the surgery done, I can barely see and I’m sitting there somewhat loopy waiting to go home. One of the nurses says, “So you cover the Yankees, you think Bernie is coming back?”