Let’s see, what else happened today …
* The gritty, gutty Carl Pavano managed to get through his bullpen session.
* Hideki Matsui checked in and spoke to us. His wrist feels fine and he’s cool with however many days off Joe Torre wants to give him.
* Jason Giambi’s wrist has healed up and he started dry swings (meaning no contact) a few weeks ago. He may not push it for a few weeks but he seems to be fine. He said he likes playing first but he understands why they want him to DH.
I kiddingly asked Giambi how the parties were in Vegas (where he lives) during All-Star weekend. He grinned like a little kid and said, “They were so cool.” He said he was hanging with Kobe and Tracy McGrady.
Giambi did not see Roger Clemens when The Rocket was in Vegas a few weeks ago but sent his regards through friends. “Andy (Pettitte) is the guy you have to ask,” he said. “They share the same lung.”
* Brian Cashman admitted he’s surprised Bernie Williams never called him back. I know most fans love Bernie. But he needs to either get to camp and fight for a job or announce that he has retired. His silence puts Cashman, Torre and his teammates in an uncomfortable position. It’s unprofessional.
* As we left the clubhouse today, Kei Igawa was walking the other way. Here is our conversation:
Me: “See you tomorrow.”
Igawa: “See you tomorrow, esta manana”
Igawa: Si. Good bye.”
I started laughing and Igawa joined in. I don’t know if he can get anybody out but he’s a good dude.