Joe Torre held a long, interesting pre-game interview in the dugout. A few of his points:
* Wang, Mussina and Pettitte will work on regular rest in April. Igawa and Pavano will work around the days off.
* On of the Big Three will start the opener. Joe didn’t say who, only that that they have somebody in mind and that person doesn’t know. I suspect it’s Wang, who deserves it and owned the Rays last season.
* Joe said he talked to Hughes earlier this spring and told him he wasn’t making the team out of camp. “I wasn’t telling him anything he didn’t already know,” Torre said. Torre went on at length about Hughes, saying the organization is determined to protect him.
* Brian Bruney now has the flu, which is keeping him from getting on the mound. He’s well behind everybody else but still has time to catch up.
* Torre raved about Carl Pavano’s bullpen today.
* Joe went on on a high note, talking about the time he caught an Old Timers Game and J.R. Richard wanted to throw sliders. Joe Garagiola couldn’t catch the ball behind the plate so Torre had to get behind there. “He was trying to make the team,” Torre said. “I told the manager to get him the hell out of there.”