In tribute to Peter King, here are 10 things I think today:
1. Cleveland 3B coach Joel Skinner might have cost his team the World Series. Kenny Lofton could have walked home on that play. The complexion of that game changes a lot at 3-3. The Indians should be ashamed of themselves.
2. It’s not impossible for Joe Girardi to get the job. But Don Mattingly has to be considered an overwhelming favorite to be the next manager. He’s been holding an ace for four years and now he puts in on the table.
3. Think about how much money it could cost the Yankees to retain Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera and Alex Rodriguez. Over the lifetime of their contracts, you could be talking an investment of at least $250 million. That’s a lot for a 36-year-old catcher, a 38-year-old pitcher and a guy who never played in the World Series.
4. How many games into next season will it take before somebody writes that Joe Torre should replace Willie Randolph? Over/under is 20.
5. Boston getting to the World Series helps the Yankees in that it increases the odds of Mike Lowell staying put. It also lessens the need for Boston to make a big splash and sign A-Rod. If he goes free agent and the Yankees, Sox and Mets aren’t interested, Scott Boras loses a ton of leverage.
6. In case you missed it, Murray Chass of the Times wrote kindly about those Dane Cook MLB commericials. I had no idea they were related.
7. If kindly, religious soft-tosser Paul Byrd on HGH, then who isn’t? I love that how all these guys claim it’s a perscription from a doctor and has nothing to do with wanting to play better.
8. They may be Red Sox, but only a stubborn Yankees fan would not want Kevin Youkilis or Dustin Pedroia in pinstripes. Those guys are gamers.
9. My friend Paul and the lovely Suzanne saw Bruce Springsteen at the United Center in Chicago last night and were close enough to stage to slap hands with the man himself. Yeah, I was very jealous. But I’m going three times next month.
10. NBC’s Cris Collingsworth said last night the Patriots are the best team in NFL history. That is just stupid. They’re 7-0. The best team ever has to at least win the Super Bowl. Talk to me then.