The LoHud Yankees Blog

A New York Yankees blog by Chad Jennings and the staff of The Journal News


Steinbrenner: The clock is ticking

Posted by: Peter Abraham - Posted in Misc on Dec 02, 2007 Print This Post Print This Post | Email This Post Email This Post

Hank Steinbrenner has spoken: Take it or leave it.

I just arrived in Nashville and received word that the Yankees have informed the Twins that they have until sometime today to accept or decline their offer for Johan Santana.

The offer is this: Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and a third player. That third player would not be Austin Jackson, Ian Kennedy or Alan Horne.

“I won’t get played,” Steinbrenner said by telephone from Tampa. “We made a strong offer.”

Brian Cashman has not yet returned a message. But Steinbrenner is (again) talking to everybody and clearly is driving this decision. He readily admits to wanting Santana and confirmed that the Yanks would give up Hughes and Cabrera to get the lefty.

“I think we have made the best offer,” Steinbrenner said. “But there is not going to be a lot of back-and-forth on this. They have to decide what they want to do.”

The Yankees and Steinbrenner issued an ultimatum to A-Rod in October that they would never sign him if he opted out. He did and they relented. But Hammerin’ Hank seems determined not get into a tug of war with Boston on this.

The Red Sox have so far offered Minnesota a package built around either Jon Lester or Jacoby Ellsbury – not both.

Comments

comments

 
 

Sponsored by:
 

Search

    Advertisement

    Follow

    Mobile

    Read The LoHud Yankees Blog on the go by navigating to the blog on your smartphone or mobile device's browser. No apps or downloads are required.

Advertisement

Place an ad

Call (914) 694-3581