Have this going in the paper tomorrow. I’m sure some of you have heard the news already.
Double-A outfielder Jose Tabata, considered one of the organizationâ€™s top prospects, was suspended for three games last week and considered asking the Yankees for his release before returning to the team.
A 19-year-old from Venezuela, Tabata left last Saturdayâ€™s game without permission, fleeing the ballpark after striking out in the seventh inning. That led to a three-game suspension.
Tabata is hitting .186 with no home runs and 12 RBI over 26 games for Trenton.
“The expectations of who I am supposed to be and what I am supposed to do finally got to me,” Tabata told The Trenton Times through a translator. â€œI made an irrational decision. Maybe it was immaturity, inexperience or just that I didn’t know how to handle what was happening. I just kept thinking I am not producing the way I should be and maybe I didn’t belong here.â€
Tabata was No. 37 on Baseball Americaâ€™s list of the top 100 prospects in the game before the season started.
â€œI just felt like I had to go,â€ Tabata said. â€œIt was a rash decision. â€¦ I thought about it a little and realized I am not a quitter.â€
I spoke to Brian Cashman about the situation. He supported the decision to suspend Tabata. He believes it came out of frustration.
Obviously, it’s a setback in Tabata’s development. Double-A is a make-of-break level for a lot of players. Tabata will get every chance with the Yankees, but it’s premature to expect him in the majors any time soon, if ever.