Arrive in Toronto, flip open the PowerBook and there are four “The Yankees should sign Richie Sexson” e-mails.
OK, let’s look it over:
* Sexson has good splits against lefties (.344/.423/.623). Maybe you can platoon him with Jason Giambi at first base or DH him against lefties instead of somebody like Wilson Betemit.
* He would cost only the prorated minimum.
* He’s really, really tall. So the company basketball team would get better.
* Sexson was a bad player on the worst team in the league. If he can’t play for the Mariners what makes you think he can play for the Yankees?
* The Yankees have approximately 87 one-dimensional first base/DH types. The last thing they need is another player like that.
* The Yankees probably should be in the business of seeing what they have for the future, not giving second chances to fading veterans.
The Yankees are very much in the mix for a playoff spot. What can it hurt to bring Sexson in for two weeks and see what he does against lefties? Is Justin Christian really that compelling to keep around? Chad Moeller literally never plays. He can’t be stashed in Scranton?