Just drove home and listened to John and Suzyn the entire way. Quite a game. A few thoughts:
* Not to be too dramatic, but today was one of those games that defines a season. A loss today then a 10-game road trip? Yikes. Now they have some good mojo going to Texas and that Joba Chamberlain cat on the mound.
* Ian Kennedy pitched well against today for Scranton (7 6 2 2 1 6). He has allowed four earned runs in his last 27 innings and only five walks. If Darrell Rasner starts against the Angels on Friday night, it will be shocking. It’s time to give IPK another shot.
* Where was Damaso Marte in the 8th inning? Edwar Ramirez has pitched very well this season. But his fastball is a home run waiting to happen. Once he put two runners on base, that should have been it. As Mark Teixeira came to the plate, Sterling said, “How many home runs has Edwar allowed this season?” A few seconds later, there it went. If the guy in the radio booth knows it’s coming, so should the coaches.
Yes, Teixeira has great numbers against Marte. But Marte should have been in there to prevent Teixiera from coming to the plate. Or anybody else. Ramirez is a huge risk once he puts men on base.
* The Yankees really have to cut down on the stupid baserunning mistakes. Abreu could have cost them that game. It’s one thing to be aggressive, it’s quite another to run into outs that cost you runs and opportunities.
* Why haven’t they had a pinch runner like Justin Christian all season?
* Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte for those four guys? Really? It’s the good thing the Yankees have already played in Pittsburgh. Brian Cashman would be arrested if he stepped foot in the city limits now.
Kyle Farnsworth went back to being Kyle Farnsworth today, costing the Yankees a game in the standings as he allowed three runs to the Rays. Good luck with all that, Detroit.