Where to start?
* The Yankees were 2 for 12 with RISP. They advanced a runner to third with less than two outs seven times and scored only three runs.
* You can debate whether A-Rod should try and steal third with Nady up. But once he gets thrown out, it’s a bad play. It doesn’t matter that he might have been safe, it was close enough to get called out.
* Joe Girardi said he didn’t want to use Mo for six outs, only four or five. I can’t fault him for not intending to use him for two innings, not with a game tomorrow.
That said, Marte can’t walk Mike Napoli.
* Wilson Betemit has to field that ball any way he can. Instead he turned and ran for the bag. You have to know the situation better than that.
* The Yankees had leads in all three games this weekend and lost them all.
The Yankees have dropped 10 of their last 15 and play nine of their next 12 on the road. You can’t declare the season over, not with a four-game deficit in the wild card.
But the Yankees are not playing with any sense of purpose and haven’t for about two weeks now.
Here’s Joe Girardi’s postgame:
Sorry for the poor sound. The press conference was held in a hallway, so there are carts going by and random fans passing through.