The Yankees won the last game at Yankee Stadium and there were touching moments before and after.
So who is Fran Ninivaggi? He’s the guy who literally turned the lights out at Yankee Stadium. Another great column by Sam Borden.
Bernie Williams made his long-delayed return to the Stadium. This notebook by Kevin Devaney Jr. also has updates from Hal Steinbrenner, the Babe’s daughter and Willie Randolph.
Derek Jeter didn’t get a hit but had another great night. Rick Carpiniello pens a column on the captain.
It was an emotional trip for those fans who walked around the field. Kevin has that story.
Andy Pettitte earned a victory he will also remember. Rick has that story, too.
A few lingering thoughts:
* This didn’t occur to me until I heard a caller on WFAN mention it on the drive home: No mention of Joe Torre during the pre-game ceremonies? That’s awfully petty of the Yankees.
* Hal Steinbrenner held a press conference and spoke for his family. Two things: Whether you care for the man or not, it’s too bad George Steinbrenner was unable to attend. And enough already from Hank Steinbrenner, who apparently had something better to do than attend the game. His enablers in the media need to take Hank off their speed dials.
* The pre-game ceremony was pretty good. But having people portray Ruth, DiMaggio, Gehrig and the other old timers was a little, um, creepy. Those poor dudes stood in center field doing nothing for an hour.
* There’s supposed to be a “closing ceremony” in November. Just a thought, but wasn’t tonight pretty much perfect with how the game went, what Jeter said and the players walking around the field? At some point, it’s overkill. Save your money for a first baseman.
* I’ll admit it. I visited Monument Park one final time and had a photo taken next to Mickey Mantle’s monument. I scooped a little dirt from the first-base line and had a bunch of photos taken with some of my buddies who also cover the team. I got into this because I love baseball, after all. If closing Yankee Stadium isn’t worth a few mementos, what is?
One final shameless plug: I’ll be doing a live video chat on LoHud.com later on today at 1 p.m. to talk about the final game at the Stadium and whatever other subjects you come up with.
This will be the link to use. I hope you’ll join in.
Don’t hold your breath for any other posts before then. I’ll be sleeping.