If these rankings are correct, Jason Giambi will not be a Class B free agent. That means the Yankees would not receive a draft pick as compensation if he signs with another team. Keep in mind the classification system is based on three seasons, not the most recent one.
First base is an interesting dilemma for the Yankees. There are many ways they could go. A few of them are:
1. Spend millions to sign Mark Teixeira to a long-term contract.
2. Bring Giambi back on a one-year deal. This seems unlikely.
3. Acquire a first baseman by trade. Joey Votto? Mike Jacobs? Carlos Delgado?
4. Move Johnny Damon there.
5. Cobble it together for a year knowing that eventually Derek Jeter will play there.
6. Try Juan Miranda as part of a platoon.
I’m sure there are other options. First base is one place where I think Brian Cashman could surprise everybody with the move he makes. This is based on nothing more than a hunch.