· Luis Sojo is managing Venezuela in the WBC, taking time away from his job as the manager of the Single-A Tampa Yankees.
Sojo is in a bit of a storm in Toronto. He told the Venezuela media that the Mariners demanded he use both Felix Hernandez and Carlos Silva on Saturday. He said it several times, in fact.
One problem: Mariners’ GM Jack Zduriencik, e-mailed Gordon Edes of Yahoo! Sports to tell him that Sojo was making stuff up. Now the Venezuela media is burying Sojo in the papers there. They take the WBC very seriously elsewhere. Very seriously.
· Ran into two scouts today who saw Andruw Jones in Arizona. Their call? F-i-n-i-s-h-e-d. No bat speed and he even looks lost in center field.
· Bobby Crosby, unhappy Oakland utility guy, played third base today. I’m just saying.
· That Andrew Brackman was optioned to Charleston today wasn’t exactly huge news. But it’s interesting to note that evil genius Scott Boras got the Yankees to sign him to a major league deal out of college. So as he develops, he burns his options.
· Brett Gardner leads the Yankees with three home runs this spring. I don’t know if that speaks really well of Brett or really poorly of everybody else.
· I don’t know that he’ll ever hit enough to play in the majors. But Ramiro Pena can play shortstop in the majors right now.
· The Yankees have Thursday off. I asked Chien-Ming Wang what his plans were. “Look at stuff for the baby,” said CMW, whose wife is due in a few months. And what does Mrs. Wang want? “Everything,” Wang said with resignation.
· I wish people could see up close the affection the players have for Yogi Berra. It’s really neat. Yogi was walking through the clubhouse today and Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes were marveling at how somebody his size was such a great player.
“He was on the treadmill the other day. It was going 1 mph or something,” Joba said. “God bless him.”
Yankees have a night game tomorrow and I plan to sleep in a bit in the morning. But the blog will get updated at some point. Joba pitches against the Reds and he probably need to look like himself pretty soon.
The game is on YES. I have the spring TV and radio schedule linked over to the right if you need it. It’s under “Posts of Note.”