· Nick Swisher fouled a ball off his left calf and left the game after going 2 for 2. He was scratched from tomorrow’s game against the Twins. “I’m going to be fine, it’s just a bruise,” he said.
· A.J. Burnett’s plans were changed and he now will face the Red Sox at Big Stein Field on Tuesday. The players will attend a charity luncheon for the Tampa Boys & Girls Club that day and they want Burnett and Jorge Posada to be there as opposed to playing in a game at the minor-league complex.
That charity event is a long-time tradition that the Steinbrenner family organizes.
· Burnett said that line drive hit him on the back of his left triceps. “Thank God it was Johnny Mac,” he said, poking fun at light-hitting Blue Jays shortstop John McDonald.
Because his arms are covered with tattoos, Joe Girardi couldn’t tell if the ball left a mark. “I made a joke with the Skipper. I’ve got Bruce Lee on my triceps. If it wasn’t for Bruce, we might have been in trouble,” Burnett said.
· Burnett sort of liked the idea that he got in a little, saying he needed the work. “They’re not all going to be like the first two. I’m a human being,” he said. “The good thing is I made the pitches when I needed to and it gave me a chance to work with Jorge (Posada) for the first time, which was good.”
Burnett said he needs work on his curveball. Or “the hook” as he called it.
· Mariano Rivera’s two innings so far this spring:
16 pitches, 11 strikes.
He wanted to pitch another inning but the Yankees instead sent him down to the bullpen to throw 10 more. I’m fairly sure he’s not a normal human being like the rest of us.
· Posada will receive an award from the Ted Williams Museum tomorrow night for his community service work. There is a dinner in St. Petersburg.
· I’m bitterly disappointed my upset call of American over Villanova didn’t come true. But it looked good there for a while, didn’t it? There was some good news, however. I recorded the reader Q&A with Joba and it was a lot of fun. The transcript and audio will be on the blog on Saturday.
Thanks to everybody for reading today. There were some really good discussions on the blog.