• Third base coach Rob Thomson has done a great job. By this time last season, Bobby Meacham sent at least three runners to their doom at the plate. Thomson knows what he’s doing out there.
• We’re 22 games into the season and Joe Girardi has continued to be as candid and forthcoming as he was in spring training. Given the ups and downs of this season already, that is a good sign that the changes he promised to make are permanent.
• The Yankees were 12-10 in April. It was their best April since 2006.
• Mariano Rivera has not issued a walk in 21 appearances (and 21.2 innings) dating back to last season. But he has allowed 11 hits over his last 6.2 innings. Thats not normal for him.
• It shouldn’t matter if a lefty is pitching or not. Ramiro Pena belongs at third base until A-Rod gets back. Pena is a first-class defender and offense should not be a factor. Angel Berroa is not going to add a significant boost at the plate.
Speaking of Berroa, here’s further proof that he’s not 31 as the Yankees claim. He’s actually the late singer Lou Rawls! No wonder he can’t pick up a groundball.