How about those smiles? Here are a few random stats and notes for you:
The Yankees have won three straight games by a 2-1 score. That last happened July 11-13, 1991 at Anaheim. The Yankees provided us bad information there. It was the first time the Yankees won three in a row scoring two runs or less since 1991.
• That’s nine walk-off wins, as many as they had all of last season. “It never gets old,” Mark Teixeira said. “If that happens to me 100 more times in my career, I’ll go crazy every time.”
• Chien-Ming Wang said the pain is in the front of his shoulder and that he did not cut his workout short, he threw 30 times as planned. He’s worried, but not overly so. Still, he will do nothing until Friday when he tries to play catch again.
• Andy Pettitte’s eight strikeouts were a season high. He threw his cutter more than he has all season, which was part of the reason. Baltimore didn’t expect it.
• Yankees pitching the last four days: 36 innings, 6 earned runs, 32 strikeouts. The team ERA is down to 4.40.
• Hideki Matsui had a lot of fun throwing his helmet and getting the pie-in-the-face treatment from A.J. Burnett. “That would be unusual for Japan,” Godzilla said with a smile.
Finally, watch the Mike Mussina Yankeeography on YES tonight. Radio legend Sweeny Murti, the pride of the Upper East Side Mark Feinsand and I are among those who were interviewed along with George King, who covered Mike in Little League.
Thanks to everybody for reading. We’ve had just over 2,000 comments today and it’s only going to get better on the blog as the pennant race heats up.