The Red Sox have acquired SS Alex Gonzalez and his .554 OPS. Being the shortstop of the Red Sox is like being one of the security officers beaming down to the planet with Captain Kirk. You’re only going to be around for so long.
• Mike and The Mad Dog busted up a year ago today. Mike continues on WFAN and remains a good listen. Not sure what Chris does these days.
• Received an e-mail today from the Bagram Air Field in Afghanistan. A major in the 7th Theater Tactical Signal Brigade wanted to say that reading about the Yankees brightened up his day. Sir, I think I can safely speak for everybody here when I say stay safe and come back home.
• I love dogs and Mike Vick is a heinous criminal. But he got caught and did his time. Football is what he does for a living and a man should be allowed to make a living. If the Eagles want to sign him, that’s their business. Frankly, I wish the Patriots had.
• Did I really make a Star Trek reference? I think I did.
• The Mets just sent out an e-mail that that said “Mets unveil enhancements to Citi Field.” The list did not include, “Plan to field competitive team run by professionals.”
• Good piece by Sweeny Murti today on Mariano Rivera.
That’s it for now. I’ll get the game post on line around 6 p.m. or so. Yankees-Mariners at 10:10 again tonight.
It’s not official yet, but it sounds like the Yankees could put Joba back into the rotation rather than use Mitre and Gaudin on consecutive days. CC’s long start certainly helped the bullpen last night.