Between us, I’m a little worn out by the Joba Drama. So I’m going to skip over that. He pitched well and good for him. Now let’s see if he can do it again.
A few notes for those of you still up:
• Terry Francona said Jon Lester could actually make his next start. “He’s going to be OK,” Francona said. Several of the Yankees, including Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez, said they wished Lester well.
• Hideki Okajima went back to Boston for acupuncture on a sore side. So the Yankees won’t be dealing with him this weekend.
• The Yankees have hit 127 home runs at home this season, a franchise record with five games left to play at the new Stadium. There have been 227 home runs hit at the park, 12 more than were ever hit at the old Stadium.
• The seven stolen bases were the most for the Yankees since they stole eight against Oakland on June 2, 2006 at Oakland. It’s hard to imagine the Red Sox debating even for a moment whether to keep Jason Varitek. He is hitting .208 and is 15 of 107 throwing out base stealers.
• The Yankees, now 98-56, have won their most games since finishing the 2004 season with 101 victories.
• The Yankees lost the first eight games of the season series against Boston, getting outscored by 24 runs. They have since taken seven out of eight games against the Red Sox, outscoring their rivals by 21 runs. Boston leads the season series 9-7 and the difference is three runs.
• The Yanks are 42 games over .500 for the first time since the end of the 2002 season, when they were 103-58.
• Finally … The Big G had a pinch-hit single that helped the Rockies beat the Cardinals 2-1 in the ninth inning. Jason is 9 for 17 with three homers and 11 RBI as a pinch hitter for the Rockies.
Back at it tomorrow. Catch you then.