First thing I learned during my first day on the job: The 4 train goes to the stadium. The 5 train does not.
I got to see a little more of the city than I expected this morning, but I ultimately got to the park in plenty of time for the Yankees workout day, which seems as good a day as any to say hello.
I’m Chad. I’ve been in Scranton for a little more than six years, and after a few days spent packing and searching for a place to live, I’m thrilled to be back at work. I’m sure we’ll get to know one another a little better through the coming days and months, but for now, please know that I’m happy to be here and look forward to being a part of this community. I’ve followed the Lohud blog for years and hope to keep up the information flowing with Sam and Josh.
A few things I noticed in the clubhouse this afternoon…
• The Yankees haven’t announced an active roster for the first round, but 30 players still have a name plate on their lockers. That likely means a group of five extra players traveling with the Yankees through the playoffs.
• Among the players who still have a locker in the clubhouse: Francisco Cervelli, Freddy Guzman, Ramiro Pena and Sergio Mitre. Among the players who do not: Edwar Ramirez, Jonathan Albaladejo, Mark Melancon and Shelley Duncan.
• Derek Jeter was the first player surrounded by media. It amazes me how good he is at answering every question without saying anything remotely controversial. We’ve all seen it happen on television, and I’ve seen it happen a few times in person, but he really does find a million ways to say, “I don’t care who we play in the first round.”
• Brett Gardner does not expect to start in the playoffs.
• Phil Hughes has shaved. The first thing I said to him was that he had the worse mustache I’d ever seen, to which he laughed. “The worse the better,” he said. Hughes shaved the thing last night. “It was starting to get irritating,” he said.
Sam and Josh had the breaking news of Jose Molina starting ahead of Jorge Posada at least once this series. I have the breaking news of Phil Hughes’ facial hair.
It’s nice to pull my weight on my first day.