Just like he does every day of the Winter Meetings, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman just met with the beat writers. We all rode the elevator to his floor, we gathered into his hotel suite and then we waited.
“I know there’s a lot of noise out there,” Cashman said. “Clearly I can’t speak to the noise.”
Noise became the code word for the Curtis Granderson trade, but Cashman would not comment on the “noise” in any way, shape or form. Someone asked whether the Yankees need for Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui had changed. Cashman couldn’t say. Someone asked how long it might take seven hypothetical players to take seven hypothetical physicals. Cashman wasn’t sure.
“I know a lot of this is silly,” he said. “I apologize.”
Not that any of us expected anything different, it was just funny to play the game for a while, to ask about the trade without asking about the trade. When its finalized, Cashman will talk about it, but he said he didn’t expect to be able to talk about anything new tonight. For tonight, it’s all just noise.
• Cashman met with the agents for both Hideki Matsui and Andy Pettitte today. He called the meeting with Matsui’s agent, “informative.” He said he met with Pettitte’s agents more than once but he wouldn’t say whether things have moved forward. “We’ll just keep talking,” he said.
• There is a report that Matsui has been working in the outfield, trying to prove he can play the field. Cashman said he understood that Matsui would like to play the outfield again, and that Matsui’s value as a free agent will go up if he proves he’s able to do so, but “my interest in him would be as a DH,” Cashman said.
• The Yankees spent part of the day finalizing their plan for Thursday’s Rule 5 pick. “We’re lined up and prepared to go and have someone in mind,” Cashman said. There were “a few guys we had interest in” leading into the Brian Bruney trade discussions.
• Cashman has literally not left his room all day. He said he was working on things until 12:30 in the morning last night and he wasn’t sure how long he’d be up tonight. All agents have come to his room and so far all other teams have come to his room when discussing trades noise.
• In case you’re interested, Cashman said he gets a lot of trade offers through text message. Wonder how many of them get a : ) and how many get a LOL.