The LoHud Yankees Blog

A New York Yankees blog by Chad Jennings and the staff of The Journal News

True or false: The Yankees are finished spending

Posted by: Chad Jennings - Posted in Misc on Dec 22, 2009 Print This Post Print This Post | Email This Post Email This Post

At this point, your expectation for the rest of the Yankees offseason depends entirely on how much you believe Brian Cashman when he speaks to the media.

“I will continue to look at any remaining piece,” Cashman said during today’s conference call. “But it won’t be a big piece. Any speculation about some high-end player who has big ability and dollars attached on a large scale would be inappropriate.”

We heard some of the same things at this time last year. Then Mark Teixeira signed a $180-million deal.

Cashman called last winter a “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity to spend, an opportunity that presented itself because of the considerable money coming off the Yankees payroll and because of the considerable talent available in the free agent market. He said this winter will be different. My estimate has the Yankees payroll already over $200 million, and although Cashman wouldn’t say exactly what his budget is, he’s surely getting close to that figure.

“It’s probably not in my interest to say,” Cashman said. “I do have a number that we’re working under. We will be at that number and it will be less than last year. It’s as simple as that. It’s not in my interest to broadcast what the number is.”

Cashman didn’t rule out another move. In fact, he called left field and “evolving situation” and said to “stay tuned,” but he also said that several free agents — including some of the Yankees own, though he didn’t name names — had already priced themselves out of the Yankees plans.

Whether you believe that is entirely up to you.




Sponsored by:





    Read The LoHud Yankees Blog on the go by navigating to the blog on your smartphone or mobile device's browser. No apps or downloads are required.


Place an ad

Call (914) 694-3581