A few winter ball updates.
• 1B Juan Miranda is batting .265 (9-for-34) with eight runs and two doubles in 11 playoff games with the Tigres Del Licey of the Dominican Winter League… Entered Wednesday’s games ranked first among all DWL postseason hitters in on-base percentage (.436) and eighth in batting average (.300). Those numbers went down after an 0-for-4 on Wednesday… Finished the regular season batting .409 (18-for-44) with five doubles, two home runs and 11 RBI in 13 games with the Tigres.
• INF Ramiro Pena has appeared in eight playoff games (entering Wednesday) with the Tomateros de Culiacan of the Mexican Winter League, batting .480 (12-for-25) with one home run and four RBI… Entered Wednesday ranked first in the league in postseason batting average and hits… Hit .247 (21-for-85) with three doubles and four RBI in 26 regular season games with Culiacan… Looks like he has exclusively played shortstop this winter.
• Minor league 1B Jorge Vazquez, also with the Tomateros, finished the regular season batting .252 (31-for-123) with 11 home runs. Vazquez was tied for the sixth-most home runs in the league. He reached that number in 32 games. Everyone else in the top six played at least 52 games. Most played at least 64 games. Point is, Vazquez can hit some home runs.
• RHP Edwar Ramirez has pitched only five times in the Dominican Winter League… He allowed one run in 2.2 innings during the regular season. In two postseason appearances, he allowed two runs on six hits through an inning and a third. For those of you scoring at home, that’s a 13.50 ERA.
• RHP Romulo Sanchez in the Venezuelan Winter League playoffs: Five games, 0-3 record, 16.20 ERA, opponents batting average of .444. Yikes. Who was that writing kind things about Sanchez on the blog a few weeks ago? That must have been Sam. Surely it wasn’t me.
• One of the infielders recently added to the 40-man, 2B Reegie Corona is hitting .300 in three Venezuelan Winter League postseaon games with Navegantes del Magallanes… That’s after Corona hit .317 with 17 doubles in 44 regular season games… He played almost all of his games at second base, with four games at third and one at shortstop.
• Some recent organizational additions… OF Reid Gorecki finished the Mexican Winter League regular season with a .250 average, five home runs and 17 stolen bases (fourth most in the league). He played all three outfield positions… Also in the Mexican Winter League, OF Jon Weber is hitting .342 in the postseason. He hit .396 with seven home runs in the regular season. All of his time has come in left field… In the Dominican Winter League, RHP Zack Segovia had a 0.71 regular season ERA, converting six of seven save opportunities.
• Minor league RHP Josh Schmidt, with the Aguilas del Zulia of the VWL, went 2-5 with a 3.58 ERA (30ER, 75.1IP) in 16 regular season games (13GS)… Ranked first in the league with 71 strikeouts, second in innings pitched and fourth in WHIP (1.22)… One of only two VWL pitchers to have recorded a complete game during the season with his seven-inning, 10-strikeout shutout of the Cardenales de Lara on 11/24 (1H, 3BB).
• 3B Marcos Vechionacci became a six-year free agent this winter, but I’ll still point out that he had a game-winning, three-run home run in the 12th inning of a VWL postseason game on Tuesday.