The Yankees have yet to release a full list of non-roster invites, but we already know most of the names. Reid Gorecki, Jon Weber and David Winfree in the outfield, Mike Rivera at catcher, Royce Ring and Zack Segovia out of the bullpen.
“There’s always a chance in the final weeks that you’ll see somewhere out there that could help you,” vice president of baseball operations Mark Newman said. “I wouldn’t say we’re done, but probably close to done.”
Outfield depth was the most obvious need in the upper levels of the system, and the Yankees addressed that with three free agent signings, plus their trade for Greg Golson. They have enough in-house candidates to fill the Triple-A infield, and Newman said that, as of right now, the Yankees have not signed a Cody Ransom-type veteran to add to that mix. He did acknowledge, though, that the Yankees aren’t as deep at third base as they are up the middle.
• Newman on the Golson addition: “Big run and throw tools. Who knows? We’re going to work at it. When we traded Austin Jackson, we lost our plus run tool at Triple-A.”
• Newman on David Winfree: “We think Winfree has significant upside. We think he’s a prospect. We think he’s still in the growth phase as a player.”
• I get asked a lot about the idea of moving one of the team’s premier catching prospects to the outfield, so I asked Newman about it. “Sometimes if you have depth at a premium position, and quality depth, you can turn those guys into another player by trades,” he said. “Sometimes that’s the way it works out. But I don’t see that with any of our guys because we’re going to need catching in the big leagues.”
• Speaking of catchers, Newman said Gary Sanchez is already hitting and working out in Tampa. “What a tool package,” Newman said. “Wow. Arm strength. Power.” I told Newman that I’ve heard him get excited about Sanchez before. “He’s better now,” Newman said.
• Speaking of power, here’s a name to remember: First baseman Reymond Nunez hit 10 homers in 59 Dominican Summer League games last season. He’s 19 years old, and Newman said he hit a home run a few days ago at the minor league complex that bounced onto the Dale Mabry Highway. For those who have never been out there, trust me, that’s insane.