Don’t forget, Sam and I will be chatting at noon. Follow this link to get in on the conversation.
Oddly enough, we did another chat almost exactly two months ago, a week after I got back from the Winter Meetings. On the morning of that chat, I guessed that the following topics would be discussed. Two months later, a lot of them still apply.
• Curtis Granderson is in center field. Andy Pettitte is in the rotation. Hideki Matsui is in Los Angeles. – Nothing has changed here. These remain three of the biggest topics of the offseason.
• Are the Yankees really going to carry a Rule 5 pick on their roster? – The question looms larger now that Marcus Thames is on the roster. Jamie Hoffmann’s chances might have gotten slimmer.
• Does the designated hitter depth chart really have Juan Miranda at the top? — We’ve clearly answered this one. No, it does not.
• With John Lackey off the market, is there still an impact starter available for the Yankees? — His name was Javier Vazquez. Whether he counts as an “impact starter” might be a subject of some debate, but my answer is, yes.
• Where is Johnny Damon going to open the season? — Did anyone think we would still not have an answer to this one?
• How much better are the Red Sox with Lackey and Mike Cameron? – The Red Sox have gotten better. How much better remains a legitimate question.
• Did the Yankees miss out on Roy Halladay? — This was one day after news of the Halladay trade broke. It’s pretty much old news at this point.
• How many West Wing references can Sam and I make in the course of a single live chat? – As always, the sky is the limit.