Most of the position players were long gone by the time the writers got back into the clubhouse this afternoon. Joe Girardi said he will wait until tomorrow to deliver his spring training message to the team.
“To me, we start over,” Girardi said. “There was a good feeling in that clubhouse and we need to go back and get that good feeling. We have to work at it.”
Girardi once again said that he’s not concerned about the Yankees getting complacent after last year’s championship.
“I’ve said all along, there’s great character in that room and there are guys that are hungry every year,” he said. “…When you sign on here, you know there’s an expectation and you’re reminded of that daily, in a sense.”
Here’s the Girardi audio.
• Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain each threw 40 pitches today. They won’t throw again until Friday, when they throw live batting practice to the Yankees position players.
• Not sure what happens with the pitchers tomorrow. Pitching coach Dave Eiland said Group 1 — the group that pitched yesterday — will throw live batting practice to hitters on Thursday.
• Girardi said he didn’t see Andy Pettitte’s bullpen session. Instead, he went to watch the catchers make throws to second base for the first time this spring. He wanted to see their arms, but he also wanted to make sure they didn’t overdo it. “I told them that was my sole reason for being there, make sure you take it easy,” he said.
• Damaso Marte had an ice pack on his left shoulder this afternoon. He still hasn’t thrown in he bullpen — next week, he said — but he did play catch off flat ground.
• Speaking of left-handed relievers, Boone Logan has decided to go back to using a changeup instead of a splitfinger as his third pitch. He works mostly with a fastball and a slider, but he experimented with a split in recent years. He said the changeup has come back to him fairly quickly.
• Girardi didn’t provide many details, but minor league right-hander Chris Garcia sat out today’s bullpen session because of some pain in his elbow. Good news is he’s expected to play catch tomorrow. I don’t really know Garcia at all, but I’d love to see him get through a healthy season just to show what he can do, for better or for worse.
• Big, power-hitting Double-A first baseman Jorge Vazquez was leaning back in his chair when we got into the clubhouse this morning. Alfredo Aceves said he faced Vazquez a few years ago when the two were playing in Mexico. “A long time ago,” Aceves said. “He got a home run.”
• Pitchers who threw today:
First group: Chamberlain, Hughes, Pettitte, Ramirez
Second group: Igawa, Melancon, Logan, Moseley
Third group: McAllister, Nova, Whelan
Fourth group: Bleich, Mitchell, Noesi
• First group pairings: Rivera caught Chamberlain, Cervelli caught Hughes, Posada caught Pettitte, Pilittere caught Ramirez.
That top picture is Dustin Moseley, Mark Melancon and Kei Igawa after their bullpen session. The second picture is a group of catchers waiting for a bullpen session to start. L to R: Romine, Higashioka, Montero and Gil.