- The LoHud Yankees Blog - http://yankees.lhblogs.com -
Notes from Sunday
Posted By Chad Jennings On February 28, 2010 @ 7:30 pm In Misc | 337 Comments
Chan Ho Park is locked into the Yankees bullpen. Brian Cashman said this afternoon that Park has a guaranteed deal, which means he’s guaranteed a spot. It’s too early to know, Cashman said, how that affects the rest of the Yankees pitchers.
“There’s clearly a lot of competition,” Cashman said. “Hopefully we can stay healthy, but it’s unrealistic to expect health. A lot of time this stuff works itself out. I just feel, before we start games, we have a better foundation going into the game of spring training this year than we did last year. We’re a little deeper. A little more flexible.”
Joe Girardi said he sees Park as a one- or two-inning reliever, but he’s also seen Park pitch as a late-inning, one-inning setup type reliever.
Here’s the audio from Cashman and then the audio from Girardi.
• Park, Mariano Rivera and Damaso Marte will each throw their first bullpen sessions tomorrow. Girardi said those three are on roughly the same schedule.
• CC Sabathia will throw on side session on Tuesday, then make his first start on Thursday. The other starters are more or less on their regular five-day schedule. Joba Chamberlain, for example, pitched batting practice today. That means he’ll take Monday off, throw a bullpen Tuesday, throw another light bullpen Wednesday, take Thursday off, then pitch in a game on Friday.
• On Wednesday, the Yankees plan to use Chad Guadin, Sergio Mitre and Alfredo Aceves in that order, with no one between them. But, all three will start an inning. If, for example, the Yankees need someone to get the final out of Gaudin’s final inning, they’ll use a reliever, then use Mitre to start the next inning.
• Cashman on Edwar Ramirez being designated: “Selfishly, we hope we can keep him in the organization, but we’ll know here in the next 10 days how realistic that is.”
• Cashman said “no there aren’t” when asked if there were other free agents on the Yankees radar.
• Minor league catcher Neall French was still in big league camp today. He was brought up yesterday to help catch bullpens. He did not catch any of the live BP sessions.
• Tino Martinez is here as a guest instructor. Apparently he was here earlier, I just didn’t see him until today.
• Girardi is remaining quiet about what the team outing will be on Tuesday. “I told the guys, just be in street clothes by 10 o’clock,” he said.
Article printed from The LoHud Yankees Blog: http://yankees.lhblogs.com
URL to article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/02/28/notes-from-sunday-2/
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW