To make room for Chan Ho Park on the 40-man roster, the Yankees have designated Edwar Ramirez for assignment. Here’s the full press release announcing the move.
The New York Yankees today announced they have signed right-handed pitcher Chan Ho Park to a one-year Major League contract. He has joined the team today at spring training camp in Tampa, Fla.
Park, 36, owns a career record of 120-95 with a 4.35 ERA in 423 games (287 starts) over 16 Major League seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers (1994-2001, ‘08), Texas Rangers (2002-05), San Diego Padres (2005-06), New York Mets (2007) and Philadelphia Phillies (2009). He has won at least 10 games in a season at least six times in his career, including three seasons of 15-or-more victories (1998, 2000 and 2001).
He became the first-ever Korean-born player to appear in a Major League game on April 8, 1994 vs. Atlanta (w/ Los Angeles-NL) and is the first native of South Korea signed by the Yankees. His 120 career victories are second-most all-time among Asian-born pitchers behind only Japan’s Hideo Nomo (123 wins).
In 2009, Park went 3-3 with a 4.43 ERA in 45 games (seven starts) with the National League-champion Philadelphia Phillies. He made his season debut in relief, and then made seven starts from April 12-May 17 before returning to the bullpen for his final 37 outings of the season. Overall, Park posted a 2-2 record with a 2.52 ERA (50.0IP, 14ER) as a reliever, tossing more than 1.0 inning in 13 of his 38 relief outings.
Park owns 13 career postseason appearances, going 0-1 with a 2.61 ERA (10.1IP, 3ER), including 3.1 scoreless innings in the 2009 World Series vs. the Yankees. He was named to the 2001 National League All-Star team as a member of the Dodgers.
In order to make room on the 40-man roster, RHP Edwar Ramirez was designated for assignment.
• Beautiful day here in Tampa. Much nicer than yesterday, which means CC Sabathia should finally be able to face some hitters. Not sure which group of hitters he’ll be facing, but he’s scheduled to be the second pitcher throwing on the main field, after Joba Chamberlain and before Phil Hughes.
• As indicated in the previous post, Park will do long toss today and expects to throw a bullpen tomorrow.
• Pitchers throwing live batting practice:
Field 1: Chamberlain, Sabathia, Hughes, Logan, McAllister, Nova, Noesi
Field 2: Igawa, Moseley, Mitchell, Melancon, Bleich, Whelan
• Ramirez was scheduled to throw on Field 2, but I’m assuming that’s no longer in the cards.
• Defensive assignments are the same as yesterday: Granderson LF, Hoffmann CF, Gardner LF, Laird 1B, Winfree LF, Nunez 3B, Thames RF, Winn LF, Golson CF, Corona 2B, Gorecki LF, Pena 3B, Curtis LF, Russo 3B, Weber RF.