When the clubhouse opened this morning, I asked one of the minor league pitchers why the group started long toss so early today. “I have no idea,” was the response. The Yankees have a full, regular workout planned. The pitchers just tossed a little earlier than usual. No big deal, just unusual.
Some of the buzz in the clubhouse centered on today’s Daily News story linking Alex Rodriguez to a shady doctor in Canada, but that buzz seemed be only among the writers. The players seemed completely unaware of the story, even asking why we were standing around Rodriguez’s locker (hoping for a comment we didn’t get).
Otherwise, pretty standard stuff today. The sky is blue, the sun is shining and the Yankees will go through their final team workout before the games begin on Wednesday.
• With Chan Ho Park wearing No. 61, Greg Golson has switched to No. 27. Nick Johnson’s number has also changed to 26. Ryan Pope’s number was listed incorrectly on the original roster. He’s actually wearing No. 96, not 69.
• Mariano Rivera, Damaso Marte, Chan Ho Park and Dave Robertson will throw a bullpen session at 11:30. Chad Gaudin, Sergio Mitre, Alfredo Aceves and Jonathan Albaladejo will throw at 11:40. That might indicate that Robertson and Albaladejo are lined up to pitch Wednesday after the Gaudin-Mitre-Aceves trio.
• It seems that some minor league pitchers are also scheduled to throw in the bullpen — Grant Duff definitely said he’s throwing today — but I couldn’t find a list posted in the clubhouse. The only pitchers listed for the bullpen were the eight listed above.
• A.J. Burnett and Andrew Brackman are the only pitchers scheduled to throw live batting practice.
• Defensive assignments: Granderson CF, Gardner CF, Hoffmann LF, Laird 3B, Winfree RF, Nunez SS, Thames LF, Winn CF, Russo 2B, Golson LF, Weber RF, Corona SS, Gorecki CF, Pena 2B, Curtis RF
• Nick Swisher’s morning playlist ranged from KRS-One to Journey. Right now, the stadium PA is playing I Did It, arguably the low point of the Dave Matthews Band’s career.