What were you doing when you were 20 or 21 years old? Were you lounging outside of the Yankees bullpen watching a spring training game from the sideline?
It must be good to be Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. That’s them during Sunday’s game in Bradenton.
On this day of practically nothing in Tampa, here are a few links and notes from around baseball.
• There’s a story on the Mariners site about Rule 5 pick Kanekoa Texeira, who was taken out of the Yankees organization. He has allowed one earned run through five innings this spring. He has also walked three and allowed four hits. Texeira is in the mix for a big league job.
• Speaking of Rule 5 picks out of the Yankees system: Lefty Zach Kroenke has pitched four times for the Diamondbacks. He has a 9.82 ERA that is inflated by three earned runs in two-thirds of an inning on Wednesday. Otherwise, he’s been solid: Three hits and no walks through three innings.
• Speaking of the Diamondbacks, Ian Kennedy has thrown five scoreless innings for Arizona. He’s found some success with his new two-seamer.
• Speaking of traded Yankees pitchers, Edwar Ramirez made his Rangers debut on Friday in a B game. He allowed two hits and struck out a batter. “I’m ready to throw strikes,” he said. Then a swift Texas breeze came and knocked him over.
• If former Yankees aren’t your cup of tea, check out Cliff Corcoran’s breakdown of the Yankees spring training to date. As always, it’s great stuff over at Bronx Banter.