First things first, Derek Jeter is in the Yankees lineup, just as Joe Girardi promised.
There was some concern that he might have injured his hand during last night’s game, but when Jeter walked into the clubhouse this morning, Bryan Hoch asked the quick question that every writer in the room needed to ask.
“How are you feeling?”
“About what?” Jeter said.
The weather? Health care reform? Avatar? The Pavement reunion? It seems safe to say the status of his hand is not weighing on Jeter’s mind.
Thanks to the AP for the picture.
• No Johnny Damon, but Austin Jackson and Phil Coke are each on the Tigers’ travel roster for this afternoon’s game in Tampa. I don’t have a lineup yet, but the other big names making the trip are Rick Porcello, Jose Valverde, Miguel Cabrera, Brandon Inge, Carlos Guillen and Gerald Laird, the brother of Yankees infielder Brandon Laird.
• Speaking of Laird, Brandon is back in the lineup after sitting out a few days.
• Yesterday, Girardi said he thought Damaso Marte would be pitching this afternoon. Turns out, Marte is pitching on the road tomorrow. He’ll work in relief of Alfredo Aceves.
• One other very small change of plans: Ryan Pope is not going on the road after all. His name was circled last night to be part of the Yankees traveling squad, but he will instead stay in Tampa to be available for today’s home game.
• Kevin Russo is getting another turn at shortstop this afternoon. He made an error there last night, but the Yankees need to see him at the position to decide whether he can be a utility man in the big leagues.
• Available Yankees pitchers:
At home: CC Sabathia, Mariano Rivera, Jonathan Albaladejo, Ryan Pope, Eric Wordekemper and Royce Ring.
On the road: Sergio Mitre, Chad Gaudin, Jason Hirsh, Amaury Sanit and Zack Segovia.
• Scheduled to play off the bench:
At home: C Mike Rivera, 1B P.J. Pilittere, 2B Eduardo Nunez, SS Kevin Russo, 3B Jorge Vazquez, LF David Winfree, DH Jon Weber.
On the road: C Jesus Montero, SS Reegie Corona, LF Colin Curtis, CF Reid Gorecki, RF Edwar Gonzalez, DH Austin Romine.
• Eight players were added to big league camp for the day, though RHP Wordekemper and OF Gonzalez are the only ones scheduled to play. Other players added to the roster:
At home: C Jorge Liccien, INF Justin Snyder and OF Austin Krum.
On the road: C Ryan Baker, INF Walter Ibarra, INF Jose Pirela, OF Dan Brewer
• He wasn’t listed on either lineup card, but minor league infielder Luis Nunez was also in the clubhouse this morning, so you might see his name pop up in the home game. Probably not, but maybe.
UPDATE, 9:56 a.m.: The Tigers lineup:
Austin Jackson, CF
Clete Thomas RF
Brandon Inge 3B
Miguel Cabrera 1B
Carlos Guillen DH
Gerald Laird C
Wilkin Ramirez LF
Brent Dlugach 2B
Ramon Santiago SS
RHP Rick Porcello
UPDATE, 10:00 a.m.: Scheduled to pitch for the Tigers: LHP Phil Coke, LHP Andy Oliver and RHP Jose Valverde. Also on the trip: RHP Lester Oliveros, RHP Cody Satterwhite and LHP Adam Wilk.