Johnny Damon is in the Tigers lineup for this afternoon’s game at George M. Steinbrenner Field. He’s playing left field and batting second. Damon didn’t make Detroit’s previous trip to Tampa.
Of course, the weather will have to cooperate for Damon to actually play against his old teammates.
Right now, the tarp is on the field and the forecast says there’s a 60 percent chance of rain at first pitch. There’s an 80 percent chance of rain by 3 p.m.
• Austin Jackson is not in the Tigers lineup, but he is on the travel roster, so we could see him in the later innings. Phil Coke is also scheduled to pitch for Detroit.
• Jason Hirsh and Dustin Moseley have been reassigned to the minor league complex. My guess is that the entire Triple-A rotation is now across the street: Hirsh, Moseley, Zach McAllister, Ivan Nova and Romulo Sanchez.
• Sergio Mitre is tied for fifth in the Grapefruit League in innings pitched (14) ad tied for sixth in strikeouts (also 14). Alfredo Aceves is tied for second in the league with 14.1 innings.
• According to the game notes, Andy Pettitte’s minor league start on Monday will be an intrasquad game: Lower-level minor leaguers vs. upper-level minor leaguers.
• Scheduled to pitch for the Yankees: A.J. Burnett, Mariano Rivera and Phil Hughes.
• Also available to pitch for the Yankees: Zack Segovia, Amaury Sanit and Josh Schmidt (up from the minor league complex).
• Scheduled to play off the bench: C Francisco Cervelli, 1B Juan Miranda, 2B Ramiro Pena, SS Reegie Corona, 3B Brandon Laird, LF Jon Weber, CF Greg Golson, RF David Winfree, DH Austin Romine.
• Cervelli will start the game at DH, then move to catcher.
• Detroit’s scheduled pitchers: RHP Justin Verlander, RHP Joel Zumaya, RHP Jose Valverde, LHP Phil Dumatrait, LHP Phil Coke and RHP Josh Rainwater.
• Detroit’s lineup:
Brandon Inge 3B
Johnny Damon LF
Magglio Ordonez RF
Miguel Cabrera 1B
Carlos Guillen DH
Don Kelly CF
Gerald Laird C
Scott Sizemore 2B
Adam Everett SS
RHP Justin Verlander
Thanks to the AP for the picture.