On the day the Yankees were rained out, they also sent out the most highly touted prospects in camp.
Catchers Jesus Montero and Austin Romine packed their bags this afternoon, having combined for just 19 at-bats spread across eight games apiece.
“(Montero) has made strides in his catching,” Joe Girardi said. “He’s made strides in shortening his arm stroke. He can really hit. He’s just a young man like Romine. They just need to go play and mature and learn the finer points of catching, and the pitcher-catcher relationship. I was impressed with both of them. Their work. Their willingness to learn. Their ability to take what you give them and try to apply it in a game. Impressive.”
Here’s Girardi’s session with the media this afternoon. This was before the Yankees figured out their plan for tomorrow, so the first few minutes are Girardi talking the Yankees trying to come up with a plan.
• Speaking of catchers, Joe Mauer has agreed to a $184-million contract extension with the Twins. He’ll be there through 2018.
• Today’s lineup had Curtis Granderson in center field. Girardi once again said he would prefer not to move Granderson around after the season starts. He wants to make a decision this spring and stick with it. “You’d like to be able to leave him in one spot, but I’m not saying that we have to,” he said. “You look at the combination of people and how they play together, not necessarily this guy’s better here.”
• Girardi on Nick Swisher’s adjustments at the plate: “Just took some of the movement out and it seems to have made a difference. He’s looked great at the plate. Left-handed and right-handed, very pleased. It could pay some big dividends.”
• This has obviously changed, but these were the pitchers scheduled to make the trip to Clearwater tomorrow: Joba Chamberlain, Damaso Marte, Chan Ho Park, Dave Robertson, Royce Ring, Jonathan Albaladejo and Mark Melancon. Four of those are now pitching in tomorrow’s intrasquad game, and there probably won’t be innings for the other three A.J. Burnett and Phil Hughes are making the trip.
• This also might change because of today’s rainout, but here are the position players who were scheduled skip the trip to Clearwater: Jorge Posada, Mike Rivera, Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Nick Johnson and Alex Rodriguez. Every outfielder was scheduled to make the trip.
• Here’s a cool AP picture of Greg Golson. It’s obviously from yesterday. There wasn’t that much sun today.