A few key events and comments from the past few days have made guessing the Yankees roster fairly simple. The team could make a surprise decision in the next two weeks, but there seems to at least be an educated consensus on the most likely 25 players to break camp with the big club.
• Yesterday, Joe Girardi said: “We have five guys (competing to be the fifth starter). We have, in a sense, one spot in the rotation and three in the bullpen.” Today, it was reported that Chad Gaudin was placed on waivers, cutting that list to four players for four spots.
• Bench candidate Jamie Hoffmann has been sent back to the Dodgers. Girardi responded by saying Marcus Thames has a “proven track record” and “the most experience in that situation.”
• Girardi also gave Ramiro Pena the “most experience” tag as the utility infielder. He’s the only utility candidate still in camp with considerable shortstop experience.
• Randy Winn and Chan Ho Park were signed to guaranteed major league deals, assuring them spots on the team.
• Last week Girardi said: “I came to camp expecting (Dave Robertson) to be one of our guys.”
• When Girardi started his A lineup last week, it included Brett Gardner as the No. 9 hitter.
Favorites for the Opening Day roster
Chan Ho Park