Phil Hughes got the start tonight, but much of the attention this afternoon was on Joba Chamberlain, who is once again shifting roles to move back into the bullpen.
“I can say I’m happy with myself because I gave it everything I’ve got,” he said. “Hughes just beat me. That’s it, the long and the short of it.”
Chamberlain said he expects to go back to using primarily his fastball and slider, and the Yankees seem optimistic that his velocity will again climb into the upper 90s.
“I can’t think about being a starter at this point,” Chamberlain said. “For me to help this team right now, its being in the bullpen and trying to get guys out there. It’s unfair to my team to think about something else.”
Brian Cashman said this afternoon that the team discussed using both Hughes and Chamberlain in the bullpen this season, but they ultimately thought Hughes was their best No. 5 starter. He once again called Chamberlain a “starter pitching out of the pen.”
“I think we finished off his development plan, and we have choices with him now,” Cashman said. “He can start if we need him to start, he can relieve if we need him to relieve. I don’t feel it’s a waste at all. I think we completed the mission on him and what will be, will be.”
• The Associated Press is reporting that Alex Rodriguez was in fact supposed to met with investigators today, but the meeting was postponed “by mutual consent.”
• Hughes walked four in his three-plus innings, but both Hughes and Girardi seemed happy with his outing. “(He was missing) just a little bit,” Girardi said. “I thought he threw the ball well.”
• Amaury Sanit was reassigned to minor league camp.
• Francisco Cervelli will be out of camp the next two days to attend a personal matter.
• Marcus Thames had a single off Jamie Moyer. It was one of only four Yankees hits in the game. Of course, one of the hits was from Jon Weber, who raised his spring average to .565.
• Mike Rivera still has a sore hamstring. He felt it running to first during the intrasquad game a few days ago. He’ll take batting practice on Monday.
• Hughes next outing is Wednesday against Minnesota. Sergio Mitre will start one of the split squad games on Tuesday.
• Pitchers for tomorrow’s game at Lakeland: A.J. Burnett, Joba Chamberlain, Boone Logan, Chan Ho Park and Dave Robertson.
• Position players not going to Lakeland: Francisco Cervelli, Mike Rivera, Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira and Nick Swisher. The entire usual infield has the game off, so you’ll see a lot of minor leaguers.
Those are Associated Press photos.