Chad Gaudin has reportedly signed with the Oakland A’s. The Yankees second road trip of the year goes through Oakland, so they could see Gaudin pretty quickly. And now… the best example yet of how little spring training wins matter:
That’s Eduardo Nunez in the AP picture on the right. He’s sprinting back to first base after turning around to run past Robinson Cano, who had just doubled. Cano’s base hit was called an out by third-base umpire Marty Foster, and that sent Nunez on his dash for first.
In the end, the umpires realized their mistake. As something of a compromise, they credited Cano with a single and put Nunez at second.
“Marty said with the rain he just didn’t see it,” Joe Girardi said. “I just (said), ‘Whatever, let’s just keep moving.’ It’s a judgment call I believe. I said, ‘You can call them both out as far as I’m concerned.’ Just keep going.”
The Yankees didn’t care about scoring the run or getting the hit, they just wanted the game to move forward so Andy Pettitte could get back on the mound.
• Here’s an AP shot of Johnny Damon’s first at-bat this afternoon.
• The Yankees plan on Sergio Mitre pitching more than three innings when he starts a split-squad game on Tuesday. They want to keep him stretched out a little more than the other relievers. If someone gets hurt and the Yankees need an early spot starter, Girardi said it would likely be either Mitre or Alfredo Aceves.
• CC Sabathia will pitch the road split-squad game on Tuesday. “That’s where CC asked to go,” Girardi said. “I said, great, that works out good.”
• Finding a silver lining, Girardi said all the missed games might actually keep Andy Pettitte stronger for the regular season. “Sometimes these things are a blessing in disguise,” he said.
• Damaso Marte, Mariano Rivera and Boone Logan each pitched a scoreless inning before Pettitte got in the game this afternoon. The Yankees were leading 8-0 at the time, having scored six runs in the first inning.
• Pitchers for tomorrow night in Sarasota: Javier Vazquez, Joba Chamberlain, Chan Ho Park, Dave Robertson and Royce Ring.
• Position players not making the trip: Mike Rivera, Jorge Posada, Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson and Nick Swisher. All of the Yankees infielders will be there.
• Ken Rosenthal previously reported that the Phillies looked into signing Chad Gaudin but decided against it.