It’s hard to believe how little was going on in the Yankees clubhouse this morning. Phil Hughes was talking to a group of clubbies — which is always the case — and A.J. Burnett was walking in and out between stages of his workout, but otherwise the place was completely quiet. A few players trickled in as the morning progessed, but most guys seemed to be showing up as late as possible for the morning stretch.
Right now, the Yankees are taking batting practice with a few guys doing long toss in right field. It’s a Sunday morning, there’s not much going on and the Yankees are just hoping the weather cooperates.
Of course, this is an Andy Pettitte start, and so far Pettitte has had very little luck avoiding rain. He’s pitched in a game only once, but Dave Eiland said this morning that Pettitte is pretty much the last guy he’s worried about.
• We could see more Phil Coke this afternoon. He’s on the list of pitchers scheduled to work out of the bullpen for the Tigers. Austin Jackson and Johnny Damon are also making the trip.
• Available Yankees pitchers: Andy Pettitte, Alfredo Aceves, Mariano Rivera, Damaso Marte, Royce Ring, Boone Logan and Craig Heyer (up from minor league camp).
• Scheduled to play off the bench: C P.J. Pilittere, 1B David Winfree, 2B Ramiro Pena, SS Eduardo Nunez, 3B Reegie Corona, LF Marcus Thames, CF Randy Winn, RF Jon Weber (The positions could be wrong, but that’s an educated guess. The names were listed without positions this time.)
• C Jeff Farnham and OF Dan Brewer are also in camp for the day as additional depth.
• Joba Chamberlain, Chan Ho Park and Dave Robertson are scheduled to pitch in relief tomorrow. Javier Vazquez is the starter.
• Tigers lineup:
Austin Jackson CF
Johnny Damon LF
Magglio Ordonez RF
Ryan Raburn 2B
Carlos Guillen LF
Brent Dlugach 3B
Jeff Larish 1B
Alex Avila C
Ramon Santiago SS
RHP Max Scherzer
UPDATE, 11:34 a.m.: Richard Gere is here in a full Yankees uniform. He got Edwar Ramirez’s old number. As far as I know, he’s not pulling a Billy Crystal and playing in the game.