Alfredo Aceves will skip tomorrow’s scheduled relief appearance because of a sore back. Joe Girardi said Aceves has been tight and “a little out of line” for a few days and the Yankees decided today to give him a few days off.
It’s possible the problem could keep Aceves off the Opening Day roster, but Girardi said right now he believes Aceves will pitch later this week and be ready for the opener.
The problem started in September and Aceves saw a doctor in January. Girardi said Aceves is better today than he was over the weekend.
“It’s something we’re going to have to manage,” he said.
• Girardi said the team will likely wait until Thursday or Friday before finalizing their roster. “I imagine we’ll go pretty far,” Girardi said.
• The idea of starting Phil Hughes in the minor leagues and calling him up when the Yankees need a fifth starter remains a possibility. “I have not had a chance to talk to Cash about it yet, (to finalize) how we’re going to do it.”
• Who starts in center field? “I’m not quite read to make that decision,” Girardi said. “But I’m definitely leaning one way.” If I had to guess, I’d say it’s Curtis Granderson. Joel Sherman has reported that a source told him the organization is leaning that way.
• On the travel roster for tomorrow’s split-squad game against the Braves is switch-pitcher Pat Venditte, and Girardi is pumped. “I’ve wanted to see it all spring,” he said. “I’d like to put him in against a left, right, left.”
• Available to pitch today: Javier Vazquez, Joba Chamberlain, Dave Robertson, Grant Duff and Royce Ring.
• Available off the bench: C P.J. Pilittere, C Ryan Baker, INF Ramiro Pena, INF Jose Pirela, INF Justin Snyder, INF Marcos Vechionacci, OF Jon Weber, OF David Winfree, OF Edwar Gonzalez and OF Ray Kruml.
• I’ll have more on it later tonight, but former Eastern League Pitcher of the Year Alan Horne is scheduled for rotator cuff surgery on April 9. He has more than an 80 percent tear. It’s a brutal blow for a very good pitcher who’s had trouble staying healthy the past two years.
With that, I’m getting in a car with Erik Boland and making the drive to Sarasota. I’ll be back with more from down there.