Sounds like Mark Teixeira is going to be OK. He was checked out by the Orioles team orthopedist, Tim Johnson, and it was determined that no x-rays were necessary. They did some strength tests and moved the elbow around, but Teixeira is fine.
“We did all the different tests and it’s just going to be sore for a couple of days,” he said. “Just going to do treatment all day tomorrow, reassess it on Wednesday and at the very least I’ll play Thursday.”
The pitch hit Teixeira directly on the bone. Not above or below the elbow, but right on the elbow. You could hear it in the stadium. He’s keeping it wrapped and elevated to keep the swelling to a minimum.
“It looks pretty nasty,” he said.
Here’s the Teixeira audio. He talked a little bit about why he doesn’t wear protection on his elbow.
• Four home runs for the Yankees tonight: Robinson Cano, Marcus Thames, David Winfree and P.J. Pilittere. “I was thinking 24-16,” Girardi said.
• Girardi said he decided immediately that Teixeira was coming out of the game after being hit. In a regular season game he would have evaluated first, but in spring training, “He was done.”
• As for Girardi’s rant when Francisco Cervelli was hit: “If you’re having a hard time commanding the fastball inside, I don’t think this is the time to work on it,” he said. “…I know Jeremy Guthrie’s not trying to hit someone, but it’s frustrating.” Girardi said his dugout rant was just venting. “I was actually facing the water cooler,” he said.
• The Yankees had Joba Chamberlain at 93 mph tonight.
• Javier Vazquez’s final spring training start will be Saturday’s game against Yankees minor leaguers. He said he’s only building arm strength tonight. Because of the wind, tonight was a tough night for him to throw anything but fastballs. “It was a tough day to throw the breaking pitches, especially the curveball,” he said.
• Pitchers making the road trip to play Atlanta tomorrow: CC Sabathia, Zack Segovia, Ryan Flannery, Ryan Zink, Cory Arbiso and Pat Venditte.
• Position players making the trip to play Atlanta: C P.J. Pilittere, C Jorge Posada, C Jeff Farnham, INF Robinson Cano, INF Juan Miranda, INF Kevin Russo, INF Brandon Laird, INF Justin Snyder, INF Walter Ibarra, OF Brett Gardner, OF Curtis Granderson, OF Nick Swisher, OF Jon Weber, OF David Winfree, OF Austin Krum. No specific positions listed for the infielders, but I’d bet on Miranda starting at first, Cano at second, Russo at short and Laird at third.
• The position players in camp who aren’t making the road trip will play in the night split squad game at home. Not sure which minor leaguers will be brought up for that game.
• For those of you back in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, tickets for the annual Meet the Yankees event are now on sale. Go see for yourself how big Jesus Montero is.
Thanks to The Associated Press for the photos.