Mark Teixeira hopes to take swings off a tee today, and he firmly believes he’ll be in the Yankees lineup tomorrow against the Blue Jays.
“Very lucky,” he said. “Any time you get hit on a bone, a lot of bad things can happen.”
Teixeira reported to camp with very little swelling on Tuesday, and the swelling is still minimal today. He said his range of motion is good and said he’s “very encouraged” by how well it has rebounded after being hit by a pitch on Monday. The bruise, though, is still pretty nasty.
“You can still see the seams in there,” he said.
Teixeira will wear a protective sleeve for the next few days, just to make sure he doesn’t take a direct another direct hit, but he has no plans of wearing protection during the regular season. He doesn’t like the way it feels at the plate.
Someone joked that if he got hit there again he might charge the mound. “I’ll be crying on the ground is what I’ll be doing,” he said.
• Alfredo Aceves was also feeling good this morning. He’s been doing exercises twice a day to strengthen and stretch his lower back. He plans to throw off a mound today and pitch in a game on Friday.
• Phil Hughes has not been told when he’ll make his first regular season start. He’s making what should be his final spring start this afternoon.
• Still no official word on an opening day center fielder, but Curtis Granderson is back in center field today, with Brett Gardner starting in left.
• Available to pitch out of the bullpen: Joba Chamberlain, Chan Ho Park, Dave Robertson, Royce Ring and Boone Logan.
• Available off the bench: C P.J. Pilittere, C Jose Gil, INF Brandon Laird, INF Jose Pirela, INF Luis Nunez, OF Randy Winn, OF Reid Gorecki and OF Edwar Gonzalez.
• Twins lineup:
Denard Span CF
Orlando Hudson 2B
J.J. Hardy SS
Jason Kubel DH
Delmon Young LF
Brendan Harris 3B
Brock Peterson 1B
Juan Portes RF
Drew Butera C
LHP Brian Duensing