If the Yankees absolutely needed him, Jorge Posada could catch tonight.
“No question there’s improvement since last night,” Posada said. “Still some swelling we need to get out, but if need be, in a pinch, I can play tonight.”
Joe Girardi said he spoke to Posada this morning, and when Posada told him he could be the team’s emergency catcher, there was no longer an consideration of making a move. Posada won’t pinch hit tonight, but he could play if something were to happen to Francisco Cervelli.
“He’s just black and blue,” Girardi said. “Fortunately, it didn’t hit him on the bone.”
Girardi said he’s not sure how when Posada might return to the lineup, but it doesn’t sound like the sort of thing that will take more than a couple of days. Posada had his knee wrapped and went through some treatment this afternoon.
“I would think (hitting) would probably be easier (than catching),” Girardi said. “Running is probably not going to feel great, but that was never one of his strong suits.”
• The Yankees are excited to finally get back to New York tomorrow. This is their 21st game of the season, and they’ve played only six in the Bronx. “I’m not sure we ever went home,” Girardi said.
• The decision to sit Nick Johnson had more to do with lefty Brian Matusz being on the mound than with Johnson’s struggles. “He is a tough lefty and Marcus (Thames) has swung the bat extremely well against lefties,” Girardi said. Johnson’s back is fine and he’s available to pinch hit.
• Curtis Granderson broke out of an 0-for-17 slump yesterday. Now it’s Alex Rodriguez who’s stuck in an 0-for-16 slide. “Bad luck,” Girardi said. “He’s hit the ball hard. What are you going to do?”
• Girardi on Robinson Cano leading the league in hitting: “If he doesn’t chase pitches, he’s going to hit really, really high.”
• Speaking of Cano, he now has 15 career home runs against the Orioles. That’s tied for the most he’s hit against any team. he also has 15 against the Red Sox.
UPDATE, 6:12 p.m.: The Orioles lineup
Adam Jones CF
Nick Markakis RF
Matt Wieters C
Miguel Tejeda 3B
Luke Scott DH
Ty Wigginton 2B
Rhyne Hughes 1B
Nolan Reimold LF
Cesar Izturis SS
LHP Brian Matusz
Associated Press photo