Jorge Posada said his sore right calf is still stiff. He’s out of the lineup as more than a precaution — he’s back to emergency catcher status the next few days — but he’s hopeful that he’ll be back in the lineup on Friday.
“They want me off my feet today,” Posada said. “Just treat it. Make it less stiff.”
Joe Girardi said the Yankees have enough confidence in Posada’s ability to catch in a pinch that they don’t think a catcher call-up will be necessary. For now, the team does not expect Posada to go on the disabled list, but he will basically be reevaluated on Thursday.
Posada felt “a little grab” on his way to first base during his second at-bat yesterday. He said that for now, the most difficult thing would be running. Someone suggested that he should just hit the ball over the fence any time he comes to the plate.
“It’s that easy,” Posada said.
• Mariano Rivera was unavailable yesterday because of a sore left side. He’s going to throw a bullpen today, and if he comes through that fine, he could be available tonight. “A lot of guys will throw a little short side and then pitch that day if they haven’t pitched in a while,” Girardi said. “That’s not totally unnormal. If we could, I’d like to stay away from him another day because, if a player deems himself ready, if you can give him an extra day, I don’t think it hurts him. But we’ll see.”
• Chan Ho Park has been playing catch in Tampa and he feels better. Park will throw off a half mound on Wednesday, then the Yankees plan to have him throw a full bullpen session on Friday. If that goes well, Park could make a rehab appearance next week. It’s still unclear how many rehab outings he would need, but Girardi said, “I don’t think one extended spring game is going to be enough.”
• Greg Golson said he thought a call-up was possible when Curtis Granderson went on the disabled list over the weekend, but when Mark Melancon got the call, “We all assumed that was the move,” Golson said. “Then after the game yesterday, they called me in and said I was coming to New York.” Golson still didn’t have a name plate above his locker when he got here this afternoon.
• Girardi said he might start Golson against some lefties. There was some consideration given to playing Golson today, “but I felt it was more important to DH Jeet,” Girardi said.
• Melancon has been optioned back to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
• Javier Vazquez said he still wishes he weren’t being skipped next time around, but he understands why it’s happening. Asked whether the success of the other four starters adds or takes away pressure on Vazquez, Girardi said, ““I think he wants to join the party, but even if they weren’t throwing well, he might feel more pressure.”
• No Jeter injury, Girardi just wanted to give him a day off after so many days in a row. He said to expect more days like this as the team plays more and more days in a row.
• Girardi visited a fire station in the city this morning. He brought his ring for he firefighters to see. “It was the first time I really wore my ring,” Girardi said. I think some guys see this sort of thing as a chore, but Girardi seems to love it. The station got one call while he was there, and Girardi was amazed at how quickly everyone was out the door. He also put on the gear at one point. “It’s hot and it’s heavy, and it’s not even summertime,” Girardi said. “And I’m not in a burning building.”
• Random tidbit about Park throwing off the half mound: The Yankees use the half mound a lot, but I didn’t hear much about half mounds when I was covering the Phillies. Girardi said he had no idea what it meant when the Yankees told him Park would be throwing off a half mound tomorrow. “I didn’t know what half mound meant at first,” he said. “But I do now.”
UPDATE, 6:12 p.m.: Rivera said he felt good after a 10 or 15 pitch bullpen session. He thinks he could pitch if necessary, but he hasn’t been told whether he’ll be available. “It’s early in the season and we have to make smart decisions,” he said.
Adam Jones CF
Nick Markakis RF
Matt Wieters C
Miguel Tejada 3B
Ty Wigginton 2B
Luke Scott LF
Garrett Atkins DH
Rhyne Hughes 1B
Cesar Izturis SS
LHP Brian Matusz