Until yesterday, the Yankees were optimistic about Alfredo Aceves and his sore back. Aceves said he felt much better, and manager Joe Girardi thought Aceves was a day or two away from returning to the bullpen.
Then Aceves tried to throw yesterday and he felt his back pinch. He was fine during warmups, but when he tried to really throw with force, he felt the same pain two pitches in a row.
“I’m trying to play,” he said. “But it’s not in my hands.”
The Yankees expect to put Aceves on the disabled list tomorrow. Aceves said he’s been told he has a bulging disc and he wants to take his time now that he’s going on the DL.
Who the Yankees call-up to take his place could depend on tonight’s game.
“The bullpen moves we make right now, a lot of it depends on what happens that day,” Girardi said.
• Girardi would not comment on today’s reports of a Juan Miranda call-up, but indications are that the move could still be made, just not today.
• There is still rain and thunder at Comerica Park. Still no word on whether the game will be called, but it sounds like a double header will happen tomorrow if the game is rained out. “I’d prefer to play,” Girardi said. “Split double headers aren’t very good for a club.”
• Chan Ho Park will almost certainly make one rehab appearance on Wednesday and another on Friday before rejoining the major league bullpen.
• The earliest Sergio Mitre would be available out of the bullpen would be Friday.
• Dave Robertson is not available tonight and Joba Chamberlain is limited to one inning. Girardi said Ivan Nova could be used for something other than long relief because his right-handed options are limited.
• Girardi on Mariano Rivera not yet pitching this month: “I wouldn’t imagine we’d go much longer.”
• Nick Swisher said he wasn’t upset at the antics of Jose Valverde, who did a lot of fist pumping after his three straight strikeouts last night. “I’m an emotional guy,” Swisher said. “I probably do some things in the heat of the moment.”
• Just to be clear, there were no player moves today. The roster is the same today as it was yesterday with Aceves active — but not available — and a bench consisting of Pena, Russo and Cervelli. No word on why they haven’t made a move yet, but I suspect it has a lot to do with today’s weather. The Yankees need to know what exactly they’re dealing with before they start making changes.
UPDATE, 6:13 p.m.: Folks here in Detroit seem to be more optimistic that the game is going to be played. It’s still raining pretty steady, but I guess it’s possible. Here’s the Tigers’ lineup.
Austin Jackson CF
Johnny Damon DH
Magglio Ordonez RF
Miguel Cabrera 1B
Brennan Boesch LF
Brandon Inge 3B
Scott Sizemore 2B
Gerald Laird C
Adam Everett SS
RHP Rick Porcello
Associated Press photo