Rain just kept falling today in Detroit. It was raining in the morning, it was positively pouring while I was eating lunch and it’s been falling slowly but steadily tonight.
With the rain out, the Yankees will play two games tomorrow. Javier Vazquez will start the first and Phil Hughes will start the second.
There will also be a minor change to the roster. Alfredo Aceves will go on the disabled list and the Yankees will call-up … someone. Joe Girardi said the move won’t necessarily be for a pitcher. It sounds like the move could be for Juan Miranda, moving the Yankees back to a 12-man bullpen.
Two years ago, the Yankees played a day-night doubleheader against the Mets and had Kei Igawa on standby just in case a move had to be made between games. Girardi said the Yankees could so something similar tomorrow: Bring a pitcher to Detroit but not put him on the roster, just have him ready in case they need another arm for the second game.
• The Yankees will not recall Romulo Sanchez. Although they could bring him back, they won’t because he’s not ready to pitch again.
• Girardi said he would have to check with his individual relievers to determine whether he could use any of his pitchers in both games. He’d rather not do it, but there could be situations where a pitcher doesn’t throw much in the first game and remains available for the second.
• Every active reliever will be available tomorrow.
• To keep his position players fresh, Girardi said he will likely switch around his designated hitters, letting certain players play the field one game and DH the other. The Yankees have to then play a day game on Thursday, so you could see another everyday player shifted to DH for that one.
• The pitching matchups have not changed. Vazquez will face Rick Porcello in the first game. Hughes will face Jeremy Bonderman in the second.
• Both games will be on YES.