Despite on-going speculation that Juan Miranda was on his way to Detroit, it was Greg Golson who walked through the clubhouse doors this morning. He’s here for Alfredo Aceves, who went on the disabled list.
“We’ve been short on outfielders,” Joe Girardi said. “And we felt we were covered pitching-wise.”
That doesn’t mean Miranda has been ruled out. For now the Yankees want the expanded depth, not the lefty designated hitter, but Girardi hinted that another move could be in the works in the coming days.
“Eventually we’ll probably, possibly, make a move,” he said.
• Golson got the final seat on a direct flight from Scranton to Detroit. The airline lost his personal bag, but the duffle bag with his baseball gear arrived on time. “It could have been worse,” he said.
• Sounds like Jonathan Albaladejo is waiting in a hotel room here in Detroit. Girardi smiled and said “possibly” when asked if he had a pitcher on standby. The Yankees are allowed to make a player move between games today, and they could add Albaladejo if their bullpen is burned out in the first game. Mark Melancon’s 10 days haven’t passed, so it couldn’t be him.
• Sergio Mitre is a possibility to start Sunday’s game in New York. The Yankees don’t have a starter for that game because of today’s doubleheader, but then again, “it’s supposed to rain all day tomorrow,” Girardi said.
• Golson will be active for both games, “unless something happens to him,” Girardi said.
• Girardi would be hesitant to use any of his right-handed pitchers in both games. That includes closer Mariano Rivera. “Unfortunately, Mo’s not 25 any more,” Girardi said.
• Girardi already has a lineup in mind for the second game. He said Alex Rodriguez will likely play the field, but he didn’t give any other details. He didn’t rule out the idea of using Jorge Posada as a designated hitter, but I’ll be surprised if that’s the way he goes.
• “I think I worry more about a split doubleheader on a hot, hot day than on a cold day,” Girardi said.
• And finally, happy 85th birthday to Yogi Berra. Girardi joked that the doubleheader was his gift because Yogi can watch the first game, go to dinner around 4, then watch the second.