Against all odds, the tarp is currently off the field here at Comerica Park. It looks like there might actually be a chance to play this game.
Nick Swisher is out of the lineup today, but he said his left biceps feels much better today than it did yesterday.
“I feels great right now,” he said.
Right now the plan is for Swisher to take the day off, get some treatment — ice and massage — and possibly return to the lineup in the next day or two.
“I’ll see if he’s available,” Joe Girardi said. “He’ll probably visit with the doctor when we come to the park tomorrow. Right now, I’m not too concerned about it.”
Without Swisher in the lineup today, the Yankees are going with Greg Golson in right field.
“If skip needed me today, I’d do what I can out get out there,” Swisher said.
The Yankees other injured outfielder, Curtis Granderson, is still a few days from beginning any sort of activities. Girardi said he’s heard that Granderson is feeling better, but he’s not especially close to a return.
“I don’t think he’s really started to do much yet,” Girardi said.
• Kevin Russo has been optioned back to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to make room for Juan Miranda. Russo is flying out of Detroit this afternoon.
• Speaking of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Chan Ho Park is set to make a second rehab appearance on Friday, pitching in Triple-A. Girardi said it’s possible Park could return to the major league bullpen as early as Sunday.
• Assuming the Yankees play this game, it’s likely Sergio Mitre will spot start on Sunday. “That’s probably what we’ve got to lean toward,” Girardi said. “We’re going to bring someone back on short rest.”
• Of the two starters who pitched yesterday — Phil Hughes and Javier Vazquez — Girardi said he hasn’t decided which one will pitch first next time through the rotation. “I’m not even going to begin to touch that until we get through today,” he said.
• With Miranda in the mix, Girardi said it’s possible that the Yankees could use a sort of platoon DH, with Miranda starting against righties and Marcus Thames starting against lefties. That said, there will still be times when that plan changes so that regular position players can get occasional DH starts.
• The Yankees were planning to call up Miranda on Tuesday, but they changed that plan because of the doubleheader. They wanted to keep Russo for his versatility.