After taking a ground ball off his right foot on Wednesday, Yankees starter A.J. Burnett came through this afternoon’s bullpen session with no problems.
“It was a good day today,” Burnett said. “It didn’t bother me. I was worried yesterday and the day after my start, but not today. I’ll be good to go for Monday.”
Joe Girardi was late to his pregame press conference because he was watching Burnett in the bullpen. The injury was a mild concern for the Yankees, but Burnett said he’s now confident he’ll make his next start. It feels “night and day different” since Thursday. Girardi said he’s confident Burnett will be able to pitch as scheduled in Arizona.
“I woke up, took my next step and almost went down,” Burnett said. “I’ll never laugh at hitters again when they foul a ball off their foot because it’s no fun.”
• Alfredo Aceves said he felt good after roughly six minutes throwing off a half mound. He will find out later today whether he’ll make the Yankees west coast road trip, but Aceves seems to think there’s a chance he will instead go to Scranton for a rehab assignment. That’s just Aceves guessing, though. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is home next week, but the Yankees have announced no plans and Girardi said it’s too early to know when Aceves will be ready to return.
• Girardi plans to have Alex Rodriguez back in the field tomorrow. “I just thought we would be a little bit conservative and DH him today,” Girardi said. “Hopefully we’ll have him back on the field tomorrow.”
• I know there have been a lot of calls for Mark Teixeira to move down in the lineup, but Girardi said he has not been tempted to make that sort of change. “I know people ask about Tex a lot,” he said. “He has a track record. This man is going to hit. I really liked his at-bats yesterday, and we’ve seen him go on long runs when he’s very good and can carry a ball club. It’s going to happen.”
• Plus, Girardi likes the idea of finally having a set lineup now that Rodriguez and Jorge Posada are healthy. “I think what you’re looking for is consistency in your order, and that’s the one thing we haven’t been able to do a whole lot this year,” Girardi said. “You’d like to be able to put guys in the same place almost every day, but it seems things have arose from some injuries and we haven’t been able to do that.”
• Good to see Mike Ashmore at Yankee Stadium today. Check out his story on the development of Phil Hughes’ cutter.
Jose Reyes SS
Angel Pagan CF
David Wright 3B
Ike Davis 1B
Jason Bay LF
Chris Carter DH
Jeff Francoeur RF
Alex Cora 2B
Henry Blanco C
Associated Press photo of Burnett with Girardi