The ceremony to honor George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard will begin in a moment. For those watching at home, here are a few things to look out for:
• As a tribute to Sheppard, the public address system will go silent throughout tonight’s game.
• There will be a special video tribute to The Boss and, after the video, two long-stem roses will be laid across home plate to honor both men.
• A moment of silence will then be held, followed by a rendition of “Taps,” which will be performed by Staff Sergeant Mikki Skinner, a bugler with the West Point Band. U.S. Army Sergeant First Class MaryKay Messenger will then perform the national anthem, while the West Point Color Guard presents the colors in deep center field. The field will be left nearly empty in salute of Steinbrenner and Sheppard.
• A wreath was placed in front of The Boss’s statue in the Gate 2 Lobby at the Stadium; another one was placed in front of Sheppard’s plaque in Monument Park.
• Throughout breaks in the game tonight, videotaped messages and memories of Steinbrenner will be played on the stadium boards.
• A video tribute to Sheppard will be shown before tomorrow’s game.
We’ll have the regular game post up just before first pitch. Considering the circumstances tonight, it seemed appropriate to have a separate post for the pregame ceremony.