The LoHud Yankees Blog

A New York Yankees blog by Chad Jennings and the staff of The Journal News

A-Rod injury update/Yankees vs. Royals, series finale

Posted by: Brian Heyman - Posted in Misc on Jul 25, 2010 Print This Post Print This Post | Email This Post Email This Post

Update, 1:16: A good start for Phil Hughes, three in a row put down after the leadoff single.  He hadn’t been sharp the last two times on extended rest, including his last outing, which followed his brief appearance in the All-Star Game. Last time out, five days ago, he gave up six earned runs and nine hits in five innings in losing to the Angels.

Update, 1:31: OK, it’s A-Rod time. He leads off the second.

Update, 1:34: There went a big groan from the crowd, first-pitch grounder to short.

Update, 1:46: That could have been bad news with Chris Getz’s liner hitting Hughes in the back here in the third, but he seems OK.

Update, 1:49: There was a little confusion there for a moment, but Scott Podsednik’s ball hit the foul pole in left for a two-run homer.

Update, 1:56: Finally, a Yankees hit. The solo shot was just homer No. 8 for the disappointing Curtis Granderson.

Update, 2:01: Maybe the Yankees are finally solving the mystery of Sean O’Sullivan. Two more hits, and it’s 2-2 in the third.

Update, 2:06: Mark Teixeira infield RBI single, 3-2. Time for Rodriguez again.

Update, 2:08: The fans will have to settle for now for an RBI double.

Update, 2:22: Is this going to be another mediocre start for Hughes? The Ankiel solo homer and Alex Gordon single leave his line at three runs and six hits through four.

Update, 2:29: This is the Granderson the Yankees thought they were acquiring. That last solo shot landed in the second deck in right. So this is his fifth career multihomer game and first since last July 29 with Detroit. Maybe he will close the season strong.

Update, 2:45: Another bouncer to short  for A-Rod in the fifth. So I believe that’s 12 at-bats and 13 plate appearances since 599.  The sky, by the way, is getting very dark behind the stands on the left side of the park.

Update, 2:59: There’s lightning now and it’s raining. And we’re officially in a delay.

Update, 3:00: Good thing it’s Umbrella Day.

Update, 3:36: The rain had slacked off some, but it’s raining hard again now.

Update, 4:15: It’s still raining pretty hard. has a 55 percent chance of rain at 5, 35 percent at 6 and 10 percent at 7.

Update, 5:05: The grounds crew is starting the process of getting the tarp off the field. The first pitch for the restart will be around 5:30, according to the Yankees. Hughes’ innings count will end up at 5 1/3 for today and 111 1/3 for the season. In 2006, he established his career high, 146, in the minors.

Update, 5:23: Boone Logan is warming up to take over the pitching. Dusty Hughes is warming up for the Royals.

Update, 5:31: The delay was two hours, 32 minutes.

Update, 5:32: David Robertson is warming up.

Update, 5:46: Brett Gardner’s RBI double in the sixth made it 6-3, and Logan is coming out to start the seventh.

Update, 5:52: Good job by Logan. That’s five straight batters retired. So we head to the last of the seventh.

Update, 6:00: A lot of fans didn’t wait out the rain delay. But A-Rod is about to get another chance.

Update, 6:03: That went as an RBI single for A-Rod, although second baseman Mike Aviles, the former Concordia star, botched the backhand attempt on the hot shot. Rodriguez may have to take his next swing at 600 tomorrow night in Cleveland.

Update, 6:12: Joba’s becoming a real problem. Podsednik just got him for that two-run homer after a leadoff walk in the eighth. The fans are booing Chamberlain, but he should be better than this. Robertson is warming again. It’s 7-5.

Update, 6:27: One more chance for A-Rod with the bases loaded here in the eighth.

Update, 6:31: That looked painful. A-Rod got drilled by Blake Wood in the left wrist to force in the run, but he’s leaving the game. And so is Wood.

Update, 6:51: Yankees win, 12-6. Now they have to hope Rodriguez is OK.

Update, 7:39: A-Rod says he’s OK and that he will play tomorrow. Joe Girardi said there was no plan to send him for X-rays, that the ball was a glancing blow to the back of the left hand, and that they got lucky. He just has a bruise.




Sponsored by:





    Read The LoHud Yankees Blog on the go by navigating to the blog on your smartphone or mobile device's browser. No apps or downloads are required.


Place an ad

Call (914) 694-3581