A.J. Burnett said he’d never heard of Chris Coghlan until reporters brought up the name this morning. Burnett didn’t know Coghlan won the Rookie of the Year award with the Marlins last year, and he certainly didn’t know Coghlan injured his knee during a pie-slamming celebration on Sunday.
“Celebrations at home and now pies,” Burnett said. “What’s next?”
It’s the second bizarre celebration injury of the season after Kendry Morales was injured during a team celebration at home plate. They seem to be more fluke injuries than anything else, and Joe Girardi said he has not talked to his players about toning down their postgame celebrations.
“I don’t exactly go full sprint into a guy with a pie. Stuff happens I guess. I always try to somewhat thing safety first, unless I’m snapping. Even running after games and stuff, we go up through stadiums and do some different kinds of running, we’re always thinking about safety. Even when I’m pieing.”
And yes, the “snapping” line was a reference to Burnett snapping last weekend and cutting his hand on the clubhouse door.
• Alfredo Aceves threw a 55-pitch bullpen today. He threw 25 pitches, rested for four minutes, then threw 30. Aceves will throw another bullpen either Thursday or Friday, then the Yankees will decide what’s next for him. Girardi said live batting practice could be the next step, but if he comes through these bullpen’s alright, a rehab assignment might not be far away.
• Nick Johnson — remember him? — hit some soft toss with a fungo bat today. He also took some swings with a regular bat. “I don’t really know what to think at this point,” Girardi said. “Until he starts actually taking swings in batting practice, I don’t know what to make of it, when we might get him back.”
• As expected, Girardi said he’s not going into this game with a definite plan for the eighth inning. He might go to Joba Chamberlain, or he might like a different matchup better.
• The Yankees are facing Josh Tomlin in his major league debut. Girardi said the Yankees have seen tape on Tomlin, and Juan Miranda has faced him in the minor leagues.
• Speaking of the Indians, Shelley Duncan is starting at DH for Cleveland. The Indians optioned Michael Brantley to Triple-A to make room for Tomlin on the roster.
• According to Andrew Marchand, the Yankees are on Joakim Soria’s no-trade list.
• Girardi said he simply saw this as a good opportunity to give Mark Teixeira a half day off. There’s no underlying reason for Teixeira’s start at DH.
Trevor Crowe CF
Asdrubal Cabrera SS
Shin-Soo Choo RF
Austin Kearns LF
Shelley Duncan DH
Jhonny Peralta 3B
Matt LaPorta 1B
Jason Donald 2B
Chris Gimenez C
Associated Press photo