Andy Pettitte threw 25 pitches off a half mound this morning in Tampa. He threw all of his pitches and said he takes a full stride when he throws of a half mound. His injured groin held up.
“Everything is feeling good,” Pettitte said. “I had a good week down here. My arm feels great. I’ve been able to long toss and throw down here, and stuff like that. Everything’s good.”
In an unexpected test, he was walking with strength coach Dana Cavalea and slipped on the turf. “Dana about had a heart attack,” Pettitte said. No worries, though. Pettitte said he felt no discomfort, and only feels it when he gets up to a full sprint. Side-to-side lateral moves have been no problem.
“Obviously they’re going to say let’s see how I feel tomorrow, but I don’t think there’s any way it’s going to bother me tomorrow,” he said. “I have my plans, but I’m trying to be submissive and listening to what they have to say.”
Pettitte guessed that he’ll need two bullpens before he’s ready to throw a bullpen. Joe Girardi said Pettitte is definitely out for Tuesday’s start and the start after that. It’s that third start that Pettitte might be able to make.
• Alex Rodriguez is getting a standard day of rest. “He’s played 13 days in a row,” Girardi said. “We have to make sure we keep him healthy and strong. We had talked about DHing him, but when we made the move, we got Berkman, and he’s going to DH a lot. When I give Alex and Jeet a day off, instead of DHing them, it might be a full day off.”
• There’s also this: “The last time he played three days in a row on the turf was when he hurt his hip flexor,” Girardi said. “We have to be careful with that.”
• It’s a similar situation with Brett Gardner. Girardi said he wanted to give his speed guy a day off after back-to-back games on the turf. That’s why Austin Kearns is in the lineup.
• Kerry Wood got into Tampa at 4 a.m. Girardi said he hasn’t decided how he’ll use him. He’s “probably not” more than a one-inning guy.
• The original lineup had Mark Teixeira at first base, but Girardi said his plan all along was to DH Teixeira. He decided to post a lineup with Tex at first so that he could check with Teixeira before announcing him as a DH. He just wanted to make sure Teixeira was OK with taking a day away from the field.
• Derek Jeter is likely to get a full day off soon, probably in the next few days.
• Girardi said he talked about giving Robinson Cano a game off this week, but “with all the night games he said, ‘No, I feel good.’” Instead, it’s possible Cano will also have a game off in the next few days. Girardi said Wednesday is a possibility.
• Girardi said he was not tempted to start Marcus Thames at third.
• There was some confusion here about the start time of today’s game. First pitch is at 1:40 p.m.
UPDATE, 1:19 p.m.: Rays lineup
B.J. Upton CF
Carl Crawford LF
Evan Longoria 3B
Willy Aybar DH
Sean Rodriguez 2B
Jason Bartlett SS
Kelly Shoppach C
Gabe Kapler RF
Reid Brignac 2B
Associated Press photos of Pettitte and Rodriguez